Thursday, August 19, 2004

Edgar Allen Poe--how did you know?

As the summer winds to a close one would think that the partner and I would be spending as much time as possible outdoors.

One would also think that the partner and I would be taking advantage of the anonymity granted to us because it is a new city and new school year (no students stopping us on the street yet--oh the joy, the bliss) by getting riproaring drunk and acting like fools (simply because we could, not because we would want to).

Wrong.

The partner goes every day to the 'new' office (as of yet unfurnished...but scribblingwoman provides a link to advice on how to furnish the office for cheap) to prepare for the classes. The few times I have managed to drag us both to the water the partner bring books and papers and sits alone on the sand while I splash like fool, all alone. Not that I am bitter, I do understand, but academics are an obsessive breed.

*******************************************************************************
Ok, just got off the phone with the partner, and have been informed that this blog has already been discovered (damn, I forgot to clear the history last night before I went to bed). I have also been informed that the faculty wife duties are to begin earlier than anticipated--we are to 'hang out' with another academic and faculty wife in the next couple of days. I have been assured that they will like me and I will like them. At some point in the night I will be asked when I am doing my PhD--a question that is both flattering (I guess--or maybe it is like an alcoholic looking for validation of their own illness through the drinking of another) and annoying.

When..when...when.

the question beats through my head, even though I attempt to kill it daily.


Almost,
but not quite,
like the tell-tale heart.