Thursday, August 26, 2004

I feel compelled to write this long and lengthy response to all of the comments I received on a post I wrote the other day. I am still unsure if I even want to, as it feels like I am participating in some sort of ‘test’- a test of my blog, my intellectual capabilities, and my validity as a voice that comments on experiences related to the academy. Will I pass? Will I?

Anonymous:

Do you think that I have not considered the concerns that you have raised? Do you have an image of me in your mind as someone in this subordinate position, who, alas, does not have the intelligence to see the ease with which one is able to slip into some socially constructed role? (Faculty Wife, African American, whatever other example you want to throw in...)

Do I really “seem to be overly accepting of this role”? Are you basing that observation on what has only been a handful of posts, and on the content of those posts? Are you visiting other blogs that discuss the academy to critique what they are saying about their experiences in the academy—how it is hard on their health, their relationships, their level of stress, their confidence? (Invisible Adjunct is another example I could use)

Do you challenge their concerns about making mistakes in front of the provost, or the dean, or the new academic that is ‘hot’ at the moment? How about their concerns on how to dress for an event?

The reason for me asking these questions is that it is easy for me to imagine (but I am willing to accept that I am mistaken) that you, anonymous, were flipping through different blogs, saw the words “faculty wife”, groaned, and decided to use your rapier wit and intelligence to enlighten the sophmoric twit who was daring to pass commentary on this hallowed institution, even if it was related to this person’s (and the partner’s) life.

This leads me back to the feelings of being tested, or better yet, reviewed.

I was unaware that blogs went through a process of blind peer reviews, but why not? I am unable to identify if you are a peer, on any level, but I am inclined to believe that you are an academic.


Must I upload my CV to qualify as valid voice? As a feminist? As someone associated with academics? Do I need to present a long list of my own personal accomplishments? The overall narrative of me?

Or, should I just be keeping quiet?

Or, is the purpose for me to think a bit more deeply about it?

I can't quite tell.

I did not accept or occupy the title of faculty wife in the sense that I heard it, liked it, and thought it would be ‘cute’ or ‘funny’ to start a blog under that title. Rather, as I mentioned in one of my first posts, it was applied by Academics (and I have heard many Academics use the term) to other people (and myself) who were attached (through relationships) to Academics.

I was first called it after the partner was offered a tenure-track position, although I guess I had been ‘acting’ as one for the previous four years while I was enrolled at another university for my undergraduate degree (three years the partner was a phd student, one year the partner was a lecturer).

Edited:
[removed because of boring content]

I could go into detail about what it is that sets me apart from the partner, or how I am unique and special in my own way, but what good comes about by that? Why would anyone assume that I am not, especially after so few posts?



I do want to write more about blogger protocal (if any), about the question of whether blogs should be judged in the same capacity as books, articles, etc, about the example used about Mall Security and Responses to Mall Security, and some of the other points, but I need to step away from the computer for a bit.



Edited to Add:

I think I feel defensive because I have disclosed information about myself to you, anon, while not receiving that same openess from you.

At the same time, lying behind my knee-jerk reaction is a voice that continues to ask some of the same questions you have posed about why I am bothering with this blog

Furthermore, even though I am fixating on your anonymous status, I do understand that sometimes that is how it happens, and I am guilty of doing the same thing on other people's blogs when something particularily offensive is stated by a member of a community of blogs.

However, I don't know if that gives license to call out The Will To Blog's fiance (who posted a comment about it just being a "fricken blog") on making an 'erudite' comment. I don't know what that is, damn it, but it doesn't sound very nice in the sentence it has been placed in. Almost sarcastic, or something, but I am not quite sure.

Sorry, I am cranky, my best friend just left and I am dealing with not only being in a new city, but a new country and culture where I have to wear tags at faculty orientation that demonstrate that I do not belong--I am just an attachment, and not someone Very Important to talk to. Yes, there are many people who I really do enjoy being around, and want to spend time with. However, I would argue until I am blue in the face that there are people who do treat me differently because of my non/status.

Does this not also happen among those who do belong to the academy directly? Is it a stretch to refer to the hierarchy in place at conferences between those who went 'Ivy' and those who did not? Or the greater respect granted to those who publish with the "best" press? Or the snide comments that are made about someone's lack of publishing prowess? Or the school that they went to?

Maybe I am mistaken, and these sorts of things never happen.