Monday, August 23, 2004

I am feeling a bit put off by one of the comments I received yesterday about the whole phenomenon of the faculty wife. I know I shouldn't care, but maybe the points raised by anonymous resonate a bit too much with me. What am I doing writing about being a faculty wife? Shouldn't I be doing my own research, or writing about something that will set me apart from the rest of the world, or at least contributing somehow to the greater good of society? Yes, of course I should. But circumstances that I do not care to elaborate on are preventing me (temporarily) from some of my goals.

Further, the relationship that the partner and I share is such that it is my turn to act as the support person, to help the partner acclimate to a new place of employment, new city, new set of stresses, and new set of goals. Not that we keep a scorecard of deeds done for the other, or anything like that, but we do try to work like a team (a strategy that works most of the time).

Lastly, I am in a new city without any friends. Need I say more?

I thought about discontinuing this blog (well, to be honest, that has been a recurring thought from Day 1, for some of the exact reasons identified by anonymous) but for the moment have put aside that compulsion in favor of writing a self-indulgent mini-rant.