Monday, September 27, 2004

I have moved beyond the realm of tourist!

I am such a little naughty blogger.

I should try and update more, but nothing all that interesting has been happening here (although, that has never stopped me before).
*************************************************

The other week, the partner and I were sitting outside at a local food place when this man approached us and started talking. He was waiting to be seated and we happened to be sitting near the entrance. He was one of those kinds of people that are jokers. You know the kind, appearing at ease talking to anyone, spouting off jokes, very confident in everything they are saying, no problem asking personal question...etc. He seemed nice, even if he was perhaps a bit intoxicated.

Do you live here?
-yes

What do you do?
fw-nothing
Tp-teach

What do you teach?
-098459jerjtdgdmfg

Oh, very interesting!
-yes

You kinda young
--yup

Oh, so you are mooching off of him? A Faculty Wife? He laughs
-*ha* (i snort), yeeeeeees.


Are you two married?
-no

Are you dating?
--yes

How long?
--four years

So, are you like, one of those interracials couples?
--uh (faculty wife and partner eye each other), yeah, I guess so.

Are you going to have kids? Like, do the interracial thing?
--uh (see above), we don't know

He then introduced us to his brother, who he was visiting on a trip. His brother, I should mention, was trying to make himself as invisible as possible, not quite amused by his brother's antics.


I just can't figure out if the guy was just being friendly (his tone was friendly, he was smiling, etc) and thought that these questions were appropriate to ask (and maybe they are?), or if he was simply a jerk. Fricken tourists.


Yesterday we had another strange experience with tourists where all of a sudden, out of the blue, this family starts talking to us about their four cats (to be fair, we *had* been sitting next to them for some time) Well, the mother started talking to us. The grandmother kept talking about how wierd people dress here (while eyeing my outfit that was, i guess, somewhat wierd) and the father didn't say one word at all. The daughter kept shooting furtive glances at us, while talking on the cell phone and picking away at her food.

The probably went home and talked about this wierd but nice couple the met while on vacation. Just as the guy I mentioned probably went home and talked about the nice couple he met while on vacation.


I like how I no longer consider myself a tourist. This is progress, me thinks.